Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd.
August 29, 2012
Otsuka, the First Pharmaceutical Company in Japan to Have Been Certified for “ISO22301”,
the International Standard for Business Continuity Management
- Our business continuity management program for “The Manufacture and Stable Supply of Products for Medical Related Business” we have put in place meets “ISO22301*1”, the new international standard for business continuity management
- We have proven our business continuity readiness, ensuring our ability to continue or to quickly recover business operations in delivering vital pharmaceutical products for healthcare institutes and their patients
- The first and only pharmaceutical company to be certified in Japan
Otsuka pharmaceutical co., Ltd. (Head office: Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo; President: Taro Iwamoto PhD) is pleased to announce that it has been awarded the ISO22301 certification, the international standard for business continuity management (BCM), by BSI Japan*2, on August 24, 2012. The ISO22301 certification highlights the maturity of an organization's BCM program, ensuring that all corresponding activities are implemented in a controlled manner to build the capability to respond to business interruptions. Otsuka has become the first pharmaceutical company in Japan to have achieved the ISO22301 certification.
Otsuka is well prepared to continue and quickly recover the manufacture and supply of all our pharmaceutical products in the event of disasters, with the first priority being to recover business processes related to delivering vital pharmaceutical products, such as its major pharmaceutical products, orphan drugs or drugs that are difficult to substitute. Otsuka is committed to ensuring the stable supply and distribution of pharmaceutical products that our society needs even when disasters strike, by ensuring preparedness for dealing with business interruptions.
- *1：ISO22301 (full name: “ISO 22301:2012 Societal security — Business continuity management systems — Requirements”) is the new international standard for business continuity management, published by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) in May 2012. ISO22031 provides a forma business continuity framework that allows any organization to build capability to minimize the impact of disruptions so that it keeps business running during and following the disruption.
- *2：BSI（British Standards Institution）is the world’s first national standards body and was instrumental in the formation of ISO, the International Organization for Standardization. Since its establishment in 1901, BSI has been a leading global provider of standards. Many ISO Standards have their origin in British Standards developed by BSI. BSI Group Japan is BSI’s Japanese subsidiary and was established in 1999. BSI Japan has been a leading certification body in Japan.
- Certified organization: Otsuka Pharmaceutical co., Ltd.
- Certificate number: BCMS 589238 （*Business Continuity Management System : BCMS
- Standard certified: ISO22301:2012
- Scope of certification: The Manufacture and Stable Supply of Products for Medical Related Business
- Certification body: BSI Group Japan K.K.
- Date of certification: August 24, 2012
Information in this news release was current as of the original release date.