March 27, 2017
Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd.
Otsuka Pharmaceutical Enters into Health-related Partnership with Fukui Prefecture
- Signed on March 24, 2017, the agreement aims to support Fukui Prefecture in efforts to become "Japan's most vigorous home town," a place where residents and visitors alike can lead enjoyable and rewarding lives as set forth in the Fukui Furusato Genki Sengen (Hometown Vigor Declaration).
- Otsuka will utilize its expertise in prevention of lifestyle-related illnesses, heat stroke countermeasures, disaster mitigation and other areas to promote the health and wellbeing of Fukui Prefecture residents and contribute to the revitalization of local communities.
Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. (Head Office: Tokyo Japan; President: Tatsuo Higuchi) has entered into a Health Promotion Partnership Agreement with Fukui Prefecture, aiming to promote healthy lifestyles for prefecture residents. The agreement was signed on March 24 at the Fukui Prefecture Government Offices.
Signing Ceremony at the Fukui Prefectural Government
Fukui Prefecture has been a leader in promoting "hometown policies," consistently posting high indices on a nationwide scale for childrearing, academic achievement, physical fitness, employment, safety and security, and recognized as top in Japan*1 for "degree of happiness rankings" and "children's happiness." However, a gradual decline in population from its peak in 2000 is threatening the social infrastracture that supports happiness. To address this issue, Fukui Prefecture has formulated the Fukui Furusato Genki Sengen (Hometown Vigor Declaration)*2 based on the foundations that originally earned top happiness rankings, aiming to actively implement various initiatives to become "Japan's most vigorous home town," a place where residents and visitors alike can lead enjoyable and rewarding lives.
Since entering into a disaster relief supply agreement in October 2016*3, Otsuka Pharmaceutical has cooperated with Fukui Prefecture in various areas, including development of disaster contingency plans, organization of training programs related to maintenance and promotion of health, and dispatch of lecturers to local communities.
The new Health Promotion Partnership Agreement aims to further contribute to revitalization of local communities and promotion of healthy lifestyles for prefectural residents. Otsuka will continue to maximize expertise in prevention of lifestyle-related illness, heat stroke countermeasures, disaster mitigation and other areas, providing health-related information and products based on scientific evidence to maintain and promote the health of Fukui Prefecture residents and contribute to the revitalization of local communities.
Under the terms of the agreement, Otsuka Pharmaceutical will cooperate with Fukui Prefecture to develop initiatives and activities as outlined below.
- 1Activities related to maintenance and promotion of health and wellbeing
- 2Activities related to increasing the consultation rate of special medical checkups and cancer screenings
- 3Promotion of heatstroke awareness and countermeasures
- 4Activities to encourage prefecture residents to enhance their sports skills
- 5Other activities to enhance the health of prefecture residents
Based on our corporate philosophy of 'Otsuka - people creating new products for better health worldwide', Otsuka Pharmaceutical is dedicated to the development of innovative products that contribute to the health of people around the world.
- 12Furusato Genki Sengen (Hometown Vigor Declaration) (Fukui Prefecture website): http://www.pref.fukui.lg.jp/doc/kenmin/chiji/furusato-genkisengen.html (in Japanese)
- 3Otsuka Pharmaceutical Disaster Relief Support Agreement with Fukui Prefecture： http://www.otsuka.co.jp/en/company/newsreleases/2016/20161018_1.html
Otsuka has concluded cooperative agreements with 39 prefectural and metropolitan governments throughout Japan (Kanagawa Prefecture, Saga Prefecture, Saitama Prefecture, Fukuoka Prefecture, Shiga Prefecture, Iwate Prefecture, Tokushima Prefecture, Aomori Prefecture, Okayama Prefecture, Ishikawa Prefecture, Hiroshima Prefecture, Hyogo Prefecture, Metropolis of Tokyo, Mie Prefecture, Kagoshima Prefecture, Osaka Prefecture, Nagasaki Prefecture, Fukushima Prefecture, Akita Prefecture, Yamaguchi Prefecture, Miyazaki Prefecture, Gifu Prefecture, Shizuoka Prefecture, Miyagi Prefecture, Toyama Prefecture, Kumamoto Prefecture, Yamagata Prefecture, Yamanashi Prefecture,Fukui Prefecture, Hokkaido Prefecture, Nara Prefecture, Gunma Prefecture, Shimane Prefecture, Chiba Prefecture, Kagawa Prefecture, Aichi Prefecture, Okinawa Prefecture and Tochigi Prefecture.)
Information in this news release was current as of the original release date.