May 9, 2016
Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd.
Introducing Three New Flavors of Calorie Mate Jelly Focusing on the Need for a Nutritionally Balanced Jelly Beverage Option
- An extension of the Calorie Mate brand of balanced nutritional products, Otsuka Pharmaceutical introduces three new flavors of Calorie Mate Jelly (Apple, Lime & Grapefruit, Fruity Milk), conceived to appeal to individual preferences and provide convenient nutritional support in various scenarios. The new flavors will be launched nationwide in Japan on May 23, 2016.
- Amidst an upward trend in the market for jelly-type beverages, primarily energy and single element nutrient supplements, Calorie Mate Jelly is a convenient jelly beverage offering a balanced supply of major nutrients.
- FIBE-MINI, Jog Mate and energen brands of jelly beverages will also be renewed, resulting in an expanded selection of jelly beverage products from Otsuka Pharmaceutical.
Otsuka Pharmaceutical (Head office: Tokyo, Japan; President: Tatsuo Higuchi) has announced the May 23, 2016 launch of three new flavors of Calorie Mate Jelly (Apple, Lime & Grapefruit, Fruity Milk). These new additions to the Calorie Mate brand of products offering a balance of five major nutrients were conceived to appeal to individual preferences and provide balanced nutritional support in various scenarios. The debut of new Calorie Mate Jelly will coincide with the launch of renewed versions of FIBE-MINI, Jog Mate, and Energen brand jelly beverages, reinforcing the Otsuka Pharmaceutical lineup of jelly beverage products.
The health food market (solids and jelly type products) has been on an upward trend, posting revenues of 61,100 million yen, with jelly beverages accounting for 34,700 million yen*1, more than half the total market value. Currently, the jelly beverage market is dominated by energy (carbohydrate) and vitamin and other single element nutritional supplements, with few products offering balanced nutritional support for leading consumption scenarios such as fatigue or meal replacement in times of poor appetite*2.
Conceived to appeal to individual preferences and provide nutritional support in various scenarios, the three new flavors of Calorie Mate Jelly seek to fill this gap. Offering a combination of nutrition and refreshing flavor, new Calorie Mate Jelly beverages can serve as a convenient meal replacement or to replenish nutrients during sports, dieting, or when appetite is suppressed due to poor physical condition. Providing an increased range of options for scenarios requiring nutritional replenishment, these new nutritionally balanced jelly beverages were conceived to support healthy lifestyles.
Based on our corporate philosophy of 'Otsuka - people creating new products for better health worldwide,' Otsuka Pharmaceutical is dedicated to the development of innovative products that contribute to the health of people around the world.
About the Calorie Mate Brand
Inspired by the idea of 'space food,' a compact and convenient source of vital nutrition, the 1983 launch of Calorie Mate Block marked the introduction of the nutritional supplement product category. Introduced at a time when skipping breakfast was a growing problem, Calorie Mate Block offered a convenient way to consume the five major nutritional elements the body needs, even on busy mornings. Launched the same year, the Calorie Mate Can version, based on concentrated liquid diets initially conceived for use at medical institutions, was developed as a nutritional supplement for general consumption. The concept was the same: a nutritionally balanced food. Currently the top selling brand of nutritionally balanced food items*3, Calorie Mate is available in Block, Can, and Jelly versions, offering convenient nutritional support in a variety of scenarios: for breakfast, at work, while studying, during sports, and in times of emergency.
- 1Source: INTAGE SRI (FMCG retail panel); 2014
- 2Source: Otsuka online survey; November 2014（n=3618）
- 3Source: INTAGE SRI; Nutritionally balanced foods market (categories: cookies, biscuits, cereals, cakes), accumulated revenues/unit sales, April 2015 - March 2016
Information in this news release was current as of the original release date.