May 13, 2016
Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd.
Otsuka Pharmaceutical Enters Into Comprehensive Partnership Agreement with Osaka Prefecture
- Agreement finalized on May 12 aims to extend healthy life expectancy and reduce health disparities as an extension of Osaka Prefecture Health Promotion Plan (Term 2)
- Otsuka Pharmaceutical will maximize its expertise in areas such as heat stroke countermeasures, health promotion, prevention of lifestyle-related illnesses, nutritional education, sports promotion, and disaster countermeasures, working together with Osaka Prefecture to develop health-related programs and initiatives to contribute to healthier lifestyles for Osaka Prefecture residents.
Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. (Head Office: Tokyo, Japan; President: Tatsuo Higuchi) has entered into a comprehensive partnership agreement with Osaka Prefecture, aiming to support the Osaka Prefecture Health Promotion Plan (Term 2) and its goals. The agreement was signed on May 12, 2016 at the Osaka Prefectural Government Building.
As befitting a health care company, Otsuka Pharmaceutical is involved in various activities with local governments and other entities to promote healthy lifestyles.
Osaka Prefecture has identified healthy life expectancy*1 and the exceptionally low ratio of residents taking advantage of specific medical checkups vis-a-vis other prefectures nationwide as major issues to be addressed in the Osaka Prefecture Health Promotion Plan (Term 2)*2, aiming to promote the overall health of prefectural residents and reduce health disparities in the second medical area*3. Osaka Prefecture has also established the nation's first Civic Strategic Cooperation Desk*4 within the Prefectural Government Building, aiming to improve cooperative initiatives through dialogue with private sector companies and other entities with the aim of revitalizing local communities and resolving social issues in Osaka Prefecture.
Otsuka has already been involved in various health promotion activities in cooperation with Osaka Prefecture. Under the new partnership agreement, Otsuka will work together with the prefectural government to maximize expertise in areas such as heat stroke countermeasures, health promotion, prevention of lifestyle-related illnesses, nutritional education, sports promotions, and disaster countermeasures. Initiatives will include cooperative educational and publicity programs, dispatch of lecturers, provision of disaster relief supplies and other activities to contribute to maintaining and promoting the health and wellbeing of Osaka Prefecture residents.
Under the terms of the agreement, Otsuka Pharmaceutical and Osaka Prefecture will cooperate to maximize resources and capabilities through activities such as those outlined below.
- 1Health-related initiatives
- 2Educational programs
- 3Disaster prevention and relief-related activities
- 4Prefectural government PR initiatives
- 5Welfare-related initiatives
- 6Environmental initiatives
- 7Other activities in line with the objectives of the partnership agreement
Based on our corporate philosophy of 'Otsuka - people creating new products for better health worldwide', Otsuka Pharmaceutical is dedicated to the development of innovative products that contribute to the health of people around the world.
- 1Healthy life expectancy: Length of life that an individual lives without limitation in daily activities due to health problems (Japan Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare)
- 2Osaka Prefecture Health Promotion Plan (Term 2)：http://kenko-osaka21.jp/pdf/plan/hyoshi_mokuji.pdf
- 3Second medical area: Improvement of sickbed facilities at hospitals and clinics on a local level
- 4Civic Strategic Cooperation Desk: Japan's first dedicated private sector liaison service counter, established within the Osaka Prefectural Government Building in 2015.
Including the comprehensive partnership with Osaka Prefecture, Otsuka has concluded cooperative agreements with 16 prefectural and metropolitan governments throughout Japan (Kanagawa Prefecture, Saga Prefecture, Saitama Prefecture, Fukuoka Prefecture, Shiga Prefecture, Iwate Prefecture, Tokushima Prefecture, Aomori Prefecture, Okayama Prefecture, Ishikawa Prefecture, Hiroshima Prefecture, Hyogo Prefecture, Metropolis of Tokyo, Mie Prefecture, and Osaka Prefecture).
Information in this news release was current as of the original release date.