December 5, 2016
Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd.
Otsuka Pharmaceutical Enters into Comprehensive Cooperative Partnership with Nara Prefecture
- Signed on December 2, 2016, the comprehensive partnership aims to support Nara Prefecture goals of creating an environment in which everyone can enjoy sports and ranking first in the nation in healthy life expectancy.
- Otsuka will utilize its expertise in areas such as sports promotions, prevention of lifestyle-related illnesses, heat stroke countermeasures, nutritional education, and disaster countermeasures, working together with Nara Prefecture to promote and maintain the health and wellbeing of prefectural residents and contribute to the revitalization of local communities.
Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. (Head Office: Tokyo, Japan; President: Tatsuo Higuchi) has entered into a comprehensive partnership with Nara Prefecture, aiming to reinforce cooperative ties and develop various sports promotion and health advancement initiatives toward the goal of revitalizing local communities and enhancing services for prefectural residents. The partnership agreement was signed on December 2 at the Nara Prefecture Government Offices.
Signing Ceremony at the Nara Prefectural Government
In anticipation of rapid growth in the ratio of elderly residents, Nara Prefecture has adopted the Basic Plan for Health and Longevity*1 in Nara, aiming to rank first in the nation in healthy life expectancy*2 by 2022. Toward this goal, the prefecture has adopted a "health index" targeting mean salt intake, smoking rates, and other factors affecting healthy longevity, and is working to develop health promotion measures based on scientific observation and evaluation.
As a comprehensive health care company, Otsuka Pharmaceutical is involved in various activities with local governments and other entities to promote healthy lifestyles. The company is already engaged in initiatives to promote the health of Nara Prefecture residents, including sports promotions, prevention of lifestyle-related illnesses, heat stroke countermeasures, nutritional education, and disaster countermeasures. These efforts will be reinforced through the comprehensive agreement.
Otsuka will further develop its partnership with Nara Prefecture, providing health-related information and products based on scientific evidence to revitalize local communities, enhance services for prefectural residents, and contribute to extended healthy life expectancy.
Under the terms of the agreement, Otsuka Pharmaceutical will work with Nara Prefecture to develop initiatives as outlined below.
- 1Initiatives related to sports promotions
- 2Initiatives related to promotion of health and wellbeing
- 3Disaster prevention and mitigation initiatives
- 4Education-related initiatives
- 5Environmental initiatives
- 6Initiatives related to dissemination of prefectural government information
- 7Other activities related to enhancing local community services for residents
Based on our corporate philosophy of 'Otsuka - people creating new products for better health worldwide,' Otsuka Pharmaceutical is dedicated to the development of innovative products that contribute to the health of people around the world.
- 1Basic Plan for Health and Longevity in Nara:http://www.pref.nara.jp/secure/104139/gaiyou.pdf
- 2Healthy life expectancy: Length of life that an individual lives without limitation in daily activities due to health problems (Japan Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare)
Including the comprehensive partnership with Nara Prefecture, Otsuka has concluded cooperative agreements with 31 prefectural and metropolitan governments throughout Japan (Kanagawa Prefecture, Saga Prefecture, Saitama Prefecture, Fukuoka Prefecture, Shiga Prefecture, Iwate Prefecture, Tokushima Prefecture, Aomori Prefecture, Okayama Prefecture, Ishikawa Prefecture, Hiroshima Prefecture, Hyogo Prefecture, Metropolis of Tokyo, Mie Prefecture, Kagoshima Prefecture, Osaka Prefecture, Nagasaki Prefecture, Fukushima Prefecture, Akita Prefecture, Yamaguchi Prefecture, Miyazaki Prefecture, Gifu Prefecture, Shizuoka Prefecture, Miyagi Prefecture, Toyama Prefecture, Kumamoto Prefecture, Yamagata Prefecture, Yamanashi Prefecture,Fukui Prefecture and Hokkaido Prefecture).
Information in this news release was current as of the original release date.