February 22, 2017
Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd.
Otsuka Pharmaceutical Certified as Excellent Health and Productivity Management Enterprise
- Otsuka Pharmaceutical has been certified as an "excellent health and productivity management enterprise" in recognition of the company's diverse undertakings for promoting healthiness among its workforce.
- The Excellent Health and Productivity Management Enterprise Program was jointly instituted by the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) and Nippon Kenko Kaigi*1. The program certifies legal entities such as companies that implement quality management practices for ensuring a healthy workforce.
- Because Otsuka Pharmaceutical is dedicated to bettering the health of people, it is only natural that the health of each and every employee is a primary concern. To this end, the company has implemented a variety of health-management measures, including free comprehensive health checkups for employees over the age of 30, and health seminars for employees and their families that draw on the company's vast health-related expertise.
Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. (Head Office: Tokyo, Japan; President: Tatsuo Higuchi) is proud to announce joint certification by the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) and Nippon Kenko Kaigi*1 as an "excellent health and productivity management*2 enterprise."
The Excellent Health and Productivity Management Enterprise Program recognizes and commends legal business entities large and small for managing their workforces in especially healthy ways. Launched this year (2017), the program is expected to certify 500 major corporations by the year 2020. Totally 235 major corporations were certificated this year.
Otsuka Pharmaceutical is committed to bettering the health of people through the creation and marketing of innovative products. To fully realize this mission, it is imperative that each and every Otsuka employee be able to work enthusiastically in the best of health.
Otsuka Pharmaceutical's employee health programs are conducted under three approaches.
One, motivate workers to take charge of their own health.
Two, promote maintenance and improvement of health.
And three, organize workplaces and transform them into worker-friendly environments.
Programs enacted in line with these approaches include free full health checkups for employees over the age of 30 in Japan, the Otsuka Wellness Program*3 that provides employees with customized exercise and diet programs, and health seminars for employees and their families.
Additionally, in January 2017, President Higuchi himself announced the Otsuka Pharmaceutical Declaration on Health to further boost activities aimed at promoting the health of Otsuka employees and their families.
Based on the corporate philosophy, 'Otsuka-people creating new products for better health worldwide', Otsuka Pharmaceutical pledges to continually work towards bettering the health of people everywhere, starting with its own employees.
- 1Nippon Kenko Kaigi ("Japan Health Council") is an organization established to enable private companies and legal entities to effectively devise and implement activities for promoting the health, prolonging the lives, and providing appropriate medical care to every citizen of Japan--a country in which overall aging is accelerating due to low birth rates--with the full support of the government.
- 2The term "health and productivity management" is a registered trademark of the Workshop for the Management of Health on Company and Employee.
- 3The Ostuka Wellness Program is a voluntary program offered to employees whose health checkups identify abnormal scores in any two out of three health parameters (blood sugar, cholesterol, and blood pressure).
Information in this news release was current as of the original release date.