Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co. Ltd. (Head Office: Tokyo, Japan; President: Tastuo Higuchi) has announced the May 29, 2017 start of test marketing for Kenja-no-kaimin Sleep Rhythm Support (The Wise Man's Sleep Solution). The new food product bears a Function Claim to enhance the quality of sleep (to support refreshed, revitalized awakening). During the initial test marketing period, the new food product will be available through the Otsuka Plus One e-commerce website and at selected retail outlets in the Kanto area.
May 29, 2017
Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd.
Kenja-no-Kaimin Sleep Rhythm Support Asparagus-derived ingredient improves sleep-wake rhythms and enhances quality of sleep
- Reports indicate that many Japanese people are troubled by sleep disorders, with one in five feeling as if they do not get sufficient rest through sleep*1. Disruption of natural biological rhythms is speculated to be a contributing factor.
- Otsuka Pharmaceutical has developed a food containing asparagus-derived proline-containing 3-alkyl diketopiperazines*2, which bear a Function Claim to improve sleep patterns with disrupted biological rhythms and enhance the quality of sleep and wellbeing.
- Test marketing of Kenja-no-kaimin Sleep Rhythm Support (The Wise Man's Sleep Solution) will begin on May 29, 2017.
Reports indicate that many Japanese people are troubled by sleep disorders, with one in five feeling as if they do not get sufficient rest through sleep*1. Recently, disruption of natural biological rhythms is speculated to be a contributing factor. While disruption of these rhythms can have an adverse effect on the quality of sleep, changes in modern lifestyles and living environments make it increasingly difficult to maintain healthy, regular biological rhythms.
Based on evidence that an ingredient derived from asparagus*2 may have a beneficial effect on sleep-wake rhythms, Otsuka Pharmaceutical developed a product containing this ingredient. Registration for labeling as a Food with Function Claims was submitted to Japan's Consumer Affairs Agency.
The features of new Kenja-no-kaimin Sleep Rhythm Support include (1) regulation of sleep-wake rhythms; (2) enhancement of quality of sleep (to support a refreshed, revitalized awakening); (3) help in maintaining a rested, energetic back-to-work feeling; and (4) alleviation of overly early awakening. This easy-to-consume food supplement offers healthy sleep support for those with irregular habits who find it difficult to get a good night's sleep.
- 12014 & 2015 National Health and Nutrition Surveys; Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare
- 2Asparagus-derived proline-containing 3-alkyl diketopiperazines(as cyclo(L-leucyl-L-prolyl), cyclo (L-phenylalanyl-L-prolyl), cyclo(L-tyrosyl-L-prolyl)
Information in this news release was current as of the original release date.