November 8, 2017
Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd.
Otsuka Pharmaceutical Enters into Comprehensive Cooperative Partnership with Oita Prefecture
- Signed on November 7, 2017, the partnership outlines cooperative initiatives to be undertaken with Oita Prefecture, which aims to involve society as a whole in promoting the health and wellbeing of prefectural residents to achieve the goals outlined in the Oita Lifetime Health 21 plan.
- Otsuka Pharmaceutical will utilize its expertise in heat stroke countermeasures, nutritional education, disaster mitigation, sports promotions and other areas to contribute to extended healthy life expectancy and enhanced quality of services for Oita Prefecture citizens.
Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. (Head Office: Tokyo, Japan; President: Tatsuo Higuchi) has entered into a comprehensive partnership agreement with Oita Prefecture, aiming to enhance public welfare, achieve healthy lifestyles, and improve the quality of services for prefectural residents. The agreement was signed on November 7 at the Oita Prefecture Government Office.
Unique for all Japan, the average life expecancy for Oita Prefecture residents, both male and female, has increased by more than two years over the past decade, placing Oita among the top-ranking prefectures for longevity. The Oita Lifetime Health 21, Term 2 health promotion plan*1 was formulated with extension of healthy live expectancy*2 and minimization of health disparities as its primary objectives. Oita Prefecture encourages participation of society as a whole in supporting efforts to make it possible for prefectural residents to remain healthy and active over their entire lifetimes.
As a comprehensive health care company, Otsuka Pharmaceutical is involved in various activities with local governments and other entities to promote health and wellbeing. In Oita Prefecture, Otsuka already participates in public awareness-raising and educational initiatives related to extending healthy life expectancy as part of "Japan's Longest Healhty Life Expecancy Supporting Corporation" program*3, as well as cooperating with the prefectural government in a wide range of initiatives.
With the conclusion of the comprehensive cooperative partnership, Otsuka will maximize expertise in heat stroke countermeasures, prevention of lifestyle-related illnesses, nutritional education, disaster mitigation, sports promotions and other areas, providing health-related information and products based on scientific evidence to contribute to further extended healthy life expectancy and enhanced quality of services for Oita Prefecture residents.
Under the terms of the agreement, Otsuka Pharmaceutical will coordinate and cooperate with Oita Prefecture in projects as outlined below.
- 1Initiatives related to maintenance and improvement of prefectural citizen's health
- 2Initiatives to promote nutritional education
- 3Initiatives related to promoting Japan's Longest Healthy Life Expectancy
- 4Cooperation in disaster mitigation and relief initiatives
- 5Other activities related to enhancing the quality of services for prefectural residents
Based on our corporate philosophy of 'Otsuka - people creating new products for better health worldwide', Otsuka Pharmaceutical is dedicated to the development of innovative products that contribute to the health of people around the world.
- 1Oita Lifetime Health 21, Term 2(in Japanese):
- 2Healthy life expectancy (HALE): Length of life that an individual lives without limitation in daily activities due to health problems (Japan Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare)
- 3Japan's Longest Healthy Life Expectancy Supporting Corporations(in Japanese):
Otsuka has concluded cooperative agreements with 43 prefectural and metropolitan governments throughout Japan (Hokkaido Prefecture, Aomori Prefecture, Iwate Prefecture, Miyagi Prefecture, Akita Prefecture, Yamagata Prefecture, Fukushima Prefecture, Ibaraki Prefecture, Tochigi Prefecture, Gunma Prefecture, Saitama Prefecture, Chiba Prefecture, Metropolis of Tokyo, Kanagawa Prefecture, Toyama Prefecture, Ishikawa Prefecture, Fukui Prefecture, Yamanashi Prefecture, Gifu Prefecture, Shizuoka Prefecture, Aichi Prefecture, Mie Prefecture, Shiga Prefecture, Osaka Prefecture, Hyogo Prefecture, Nara Prefecture, Wakayama Prefecture, Shimane Prefecture, Okayama Prefecture, Hiroshima Prefecture, Yamaguchi Prefecture, Tokushima Prefecture, Kagawa Prefecture, Ehime Prefecture, Kochi Prefecture, Fukuoka Prefecture, Saga Prefecture, Nagasaki Prefecture, Kumamoto Prefecture, Oita Prefecture, Miyazaki Prefecture, Kagoshima Prefecture and Okinawa Prefecture.)
Information in this news release was current as of the original release date.