February 20, 2013
Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd.
Otsuka Pharmaceutical Contributes to the Success and Development of the Tokyo Marathon as a Total Health Care Company
Supporting Safe Running and Encouraging Runners to Complete the Full Distance with Amino Acids, Fluids and Electrolytes
- As part of efforts to support safe running and encourage completion of the course, Otsuka Pharmaceutical provides evidence-based information on daily training, nutrition, and the importance of supplementing amino acids, fluids and electrolytes.
- For 7 consecutive years, Otsuka Pharmaceutical Amino Value BCAA supplement*1 endurance beverage has been named official beverage of the Tokyo Marathon*2, now counted as one of the WMM*3 series.
- Beyond supply of products and resulting publicity as a sponsor, Otsuka Pharmaceutical contributes to the development and success of this popular metropolitan marathon event in various ways, as a total health care company involved in human health.
Tokyo, Japan: Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. (Head office: Tokyo Japan; President and Representative Director: Taro Iwamoto) has announced sponsorship of Tokyo Marathon 2013 (to be run on February 24, 2013), with BCAA beverage Amino Value named official beverage for the popular metropolitan marathon. As part of sponsorship activities to support safe running and successful completion of the course for approximately 36,000 runners, Otsuka Pharmaceutical will provide runners with evidence-based information, cooperate with Tokyo Marathon TEAM SMILE volunteers, serve Amino Value at water stations along the marathon route, and provide supplies for use at aid stations. Otsuka Pharmaceutical has been an official sponsor of the Tokyo Marathon for seven consecutive years, since the very first running of this popular event.
- *1：BCAA = Branched Chain Amino Acids. Essential amino acids valine, leucine, and isoleucine, which account for 30 to 40 percent of muscle tissue. These vital amino acids control the degradation of protein in the muscles, serving as a source of energy to preserve muscle strength during activity and promote formulation of muscle protein. In addition to day-to-day support, consumption of BCAA before and during exercise helps maintain muscle condition and minimizes loss of performance.
- *2：Tokyo Marathon official website http://www.tokyo42195.org/2013/
- *3：WMM (World Marathon Majors) is a championship-series that includes the six leading metropolitan marathons. In November 2012, the Tokyo Marathon joined Boston, London, Berlin, Chicago and New York as the sixth race in the series. (http://worldmarathonmajors.com/JP/)
Information in this news release was current as of the original release date.