July 10, 2013
Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd.
A Heat Wave Is Coming - Protect Yourself From Heat Stroke Otsuka's New "Heat Stroke Prevention Information" Service Launches July 8
Receive Automatic Updates on a "Heat Index" Indicating Your Heat Stroke Risk Level
- In collaboration with the non-profit organization Weather Caster Network, Otsuka Pharmaceutical is launching a service that will provide automated updates on a heat index (the web bulb globe temperature, or WBGT*1) indicating your heat stroke risk level for that day and week. Armed with this information, you will be able to take precautions during outdoor activities, such as making sure you have enough water, electrolytes (ions) and taking frequent rest breaks.
- Otsuka Pharmaceutical has been supplying sodium-containing beverages such as POCARI SWEAT since 1980. Sodium-containing beverages intake is recommended*2 as heat stroke preventive measure. For more than 20 years, Otsuka Pharmaceutical has been advocating the "importance of hydration" by providing information through the Otsuka website and seminars.
- Since 2010, approximately 40,000 people have required emergency transport services for heat stroke care, and the number of deaths has risen to more than 3 times its previous average.*3 In more than 90% of deaths due to heat stroke that happens in the workplace, the heat index (the WBGT) was not measured. More than 80% of these individuals had not been taking the proper precautions, such as ingesting enough water and salts whether or not they were experiencing any symptoms.*4
Otsuka Pharmaceutical (Headquarters, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo; President and CEO: Taro Iwamoto) has partnered with the Weather Caster Network, a non-profit organization, to launch the "Heat Stroke Prevention Information" website (accessible from the Otsuka Pharmaceutical home page, at http://www.otsuka.co.jp/), which will send automatic updates on a heat index (the WBGT) indicating the level of heat stroke risk at registered users' chosen locations. Service started on July 8.
- *1 WBGT (wet bulb globe temperature): The effects of radiant heat, such as heat reflected from the Earth's surface, need to be taken into consideration in order to prevent heat stroke. The Japan Sports Association therefore recommends use of the WBGT, which takes into account air temperature, humidity, and radiant heat.
- *2 The Japanese Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare and the Japan Sports Association recommend beverages that contain 0.1% to 0.2% table salt (equivalent to between 40 mg to 80 mg of sodium per 100 ml)
- *3 The Japan Sports Association, a public utility foundation. The number of death is the data from 2010 to 2011. The annual average is 234 cases (average for the years 1968 through 2011).
- *4 Calculated based on the statistics from 2010 to 2012 contained in "Deaths Due to Heat Stroke"; Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare.
Information in this news release was current as of the original release date.