April 23, 2015
Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd.
Kenja-no-shokutaku Double Support Makes Overseas Debut in Hong Kong
- Suppressing absorption of sugars and lipids, reducing the rise in blood glucose and triacylglycerol levels after meals, Kenja-no-shokutaku (The Wise Man's Dining) Double Support will make its overseas debut in Hong Kong on April 23, 2015.
- One of the world's leading epicurean regions, Hong Kong also enjoys a reputation for longevity*1, but recently the market for diet-oriented foods is expanding*2. Kenja-no-shokutaku Double Support is being introduced to the diverse and varied dining milieu of Hong Kong as a simple solution for those who are concerned about blood glucose and fats.
- A flavorless, odorless powder containing 5 grams of dietary fiber per serving in the form of indigestible dextrin, the product can be dissolved in water, green or black tea, or other mealtime beverages without affecting their flavor, making it easy to consume in a variety of meal scenarios. Stick-type single serving packets are convenient to carry in purse or pocket.
Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. (Head Office: Tokyo, President: Tatsuo Higuchi) has announced the April 23, 2015 launch of Kenja-no- shokutaku (The Wise Man's Dining) Double Support in Hong Kong, the first overseas market for this product. The product will be marketed in Hong Kong by Otsuka affiliate, Otsuka Pharmaceutical (H.K.) Ltd., which also markets POCARI SWEAT. This will be the first time that a Food for Specified Health Use by the Consumer Affairs Agency, Government of Japan approved for dual functions in Japan will be sold in Hong Kong.
Known as an epicurean paradise, Hong Kong boasts a highly developed food service industry, with countless restaurants serving foods from around the world. It is also known for the longevity of its citizens*1. However, recent reports indicate 36.6% of Hong Kong residents can be classified as overweight or obese*3, and the market for diet-oriented foods has posted an average annual growth rate of 12.3% over five years*2, expanding to approximately HK$448 million in fiscal 2012. Kenja-no-shokutaku Double Support is being introduced to the diverse and varied dining milieu of Hong Kong as a simple solution for those who are concerned about controlling blood glucose and fats.
Kenja-no-shokutaku (The Wise Man's Dining) was launched in 2005 as a Food for Specified Health Use targeting those who were concerned about controlling blood glucose levels. In 2012, the product was re-launched as Kenja no Shokutaku Double Support, approved for the claims of suppressing absorption of both sugars and lipids after meals. A powder containing 5 grams of dietary fiber per serving in the form of indigestible dextrin, the product can be dissolved in water, green or black tea or other mealtime beverages without affecting their flavor. Recognized as easy to consume in any dining scenario, product sales in Japan have increased steadily.
Based on its corporate philosophy of 'Otsuka-people creating new products for better health worldwide,' Otsuka Pharmaceutical is dedicated to the development of innovative products that contribute to the health of people around the world.
- Package photo will feature pasta, ramen and other foods that are popular in Hong Kong.
- "Made in Japan" labeling evokes image of product quality and safety.
- 1In Hong Kong in 2013, average life expectancy at birth was 80.87 for men; 86.57 for women (Abridged Life Tables for Japan 2013; Japan Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare)
- 2Euro monitor 2013
- 32014 ratio of overweight/obese residents (BMI 22% or more) was 36.6%; Hong Kong Department of Health
Information in this news release was current as of the original release date.