Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. (Head Office: Tokyo, Japan: President Tatsuo Higuchi) has announced the July 1, 2015 official launch of POCARI SWEAT in East Timor, the latest expansion of overseas distribution of the popular ion supply drink, initially launched in 1980 in Japan. POCARI SWEAT produced by Indonesian Otsuka Group subsidiary P.T. Amerta Indah Otsuka will be sold through a local distribution agent in East Timor. Following its launch in East Timor, POCARI SWEAT is now available in 19 countries and regions. Otsuka Pharmaceutical will continue initiatives to convey the importance of ions and fluid replenishment in keeping with local customs and culture in various international markets.
July 1, 2015
Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd.
Otsuka Pharmaceutical Continues the Overseas Distribution Expansion of POCARI SWEAT East Timor Market Official Launch July 1, 2015
- Beginning July 1, 2015, ion supply drink POCARI SWEAT will be officially available in the growing East Timor market. POCARI SWEAT is produced in neighboring Indonesia and distributed through a local distribution agent.
- Since the 1980 launch of POCARI SWEAT in Japan, Otsuka has consistently expanded overseas distribution of its innovative ion supply drink. With the addition of East Timor, POCARI SWEAT is now available in 19 countries and regions. Into the future, the company will continue to provide information on the importance of ions and fluid replenishment in keeping with local customs and culture in various international markets.
The Southeast Asian island nation of East Timor (the Democratic Republic of Timor-Leste) occupies the eastern half of the island of Timor, with Indonesia to the west. Experiencing steady economic growth since its independence in 2002, East Timor GDP increased by an average annual rate of 10%*1 between 2007 and 2014 and infrastructure improvements and development are progressing rapidly. Like neighboring Indonesia, the tropical climate is subject to high temperatures year-round, making replenishment of ions and fluids an important health concern. Otsuka Pharmaceutical had already distributed POCARI SWEAT before 2002, but it has contracted with a local distribution agent for sale of POCARI SWEAT in East Timor to accelerate market expansion. In keeping with local conditions, P.T. Amerta Indah Otsuka personnel will support expansion of sales with information regarding the importance of ion and fluid replenishment in various daily scenarios, including physical exertion and sports.
International Distribution of POCARI SWEAT
Initially launched in Japan in 1980, POCARI SWEAT is based on the concept of smoothly replenishing ions and fluids lost through perspiration. Overseas distribution was launched in 1982, and today POCARI SWEAT, a global brand originating in Japan, is available in 19 countries and regions*2. Through ongoing emphasis on the importance of ion and fluid replenishment in keeping with local customs in various international markets, overseas sales of the innovative ion supply beverage now surpass sales in Japan*3. Seeking to accumulate evidence on the efficacy of ion supply drinks, the Otsuka Pharmaceutical Saga Nutraceuticals Research Institute has for the past 30 years been engaged in wide-ranging research into ion and fluid replenishment in various situations, including during sports activities, in dry interior environments, after a hot bath and other daily scenarios.
- 1Source : IMF - World Economic Outlook Databases (April 2015)
- 2Countries & regions where POCARI SWEAT is sold (as of July 2015; in order of market launch) : Japan, Taiwan, Singapore, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, Oman, UAE, Korea, Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia, China, Kuwait, Qatar, Philippines, Egypt, Vietnam, Myanmar, East Timor
- 3Overseas sales (unit sales base) surpassed Japanese sales in 2008 (internal data; includes unconsolidated subsidiaries)
Information in this news release was current as of the original release date.