January 24, 2020
Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd.
Otsuka Pharmaceutical Awarded Grand Prize in Tokyo Metropolitan Government Women's Participation Awards for First Year of the Reiwa Era
Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. (Otsuka) has been awarded the top commendation, the Grand Prize (Industrial Category), in the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Women's Participation Promotion Awards for the first year of the Reiwa Era (from May 1, 2019).
The Women's Participation Promotion Awards were conceived as a way to recognize companies, organizations, and individuals actively implementing initiatives to encourage participation by women at various levels, contributing to the realization of a society in which women can choose from a range of lifestyles according to their ambitions and abilities. Otsuka has continued to promote diversity as a human resources policy and has been recognized for ongoing efforts to create workplaces where both male and female employees can realize their full potential.
Rationale for Award
- Otsuka Pharmaceutical has pursued diversity since the 1980s, adopting policies to support career advancement at various life stages, ranging from marriage and childcare through nursing care, promoting the creation of workplaces where both male and female employees can realize their full potential.
- Workshops encourage female medical representatives and sales representatives to share information about childrearing and work styles, enabling them to continue their careers, while "Ikuboss" seminars and other initiatives encourage male employees to be more engaged in child-rearing. These and other initiatives aim to promote and support active participation of women in the workplace.
Otsuka Pharmaceutical Initiatives Recognized for the Award
- Policies to support career advancement at various life stages
Proactive policies include support for newly married couples, shortened or flexible working hours for employees with young children, Family Smile Support (telecommuting options for employees who are pregnant, raising children, or serving as caregivers), support to balance medical care and work, and other initiatives to support continued employment and career advancement through various life stages.
- Measures to promote ongoing employment and improve motivation of female medical representatives and sales representatives
Otsuka Women's Workshops give medical representatives and sales representatives an opportunity to share information about child-rearing and work styles, encouraging them to continue their careers as they raise their families.
- Promotion of childcare leave for male employees
"Ikuboss" seminars (ikuboss: a successful manager who also prioritizes work-life balance) that target managers and executives. Their aim is to foster a corporate culture in which mangers encourage active participation in child-rearing among their more junior male colleagues.
Otsuka will continue to implement human resource and workplace policies that encourage healthy, energetic and fulfilling work styles and adopt initiatives to maintain and enhance employee motivation, aiming to transform workplace energy into a driving force for corporate growth.
Otsuka Pharmaceutical initiatives to promote diversity: https://www.otsuka.co.jp/en/csr/employees/diversity/
About Tokyo Metropolitan Government Women's Participation Promotion Awards (Bureau of Citizens and Cultural Affairs) (in Japanese): https://www.seikatubunka.metro.tokyo.lg.jp/danjo/jokatsu/taisho.html
Information in this news release was current as of the original release date.