Pocari Sweat was launched in 1980 as a health drink to replenish electrolytes and ions lost through perspiration. The first global product launched from Otsuka Pharmaceutical in Japan, overseas distribution began in 1982; POCARI SWEAT is currently available in 20 countries and regions worldwide. Seeking to amass further scientific evidence as to the effectiveness of POCARI SWEAT, the Otsuka Pharmaceutical Saga Nutraceuticals Research Institute has been engaged in research related to replenishment of liquids and electrolytes during exercise and sports, in dry indoor environments, following a hot bath, and various other scenarios.
April 4, 2016
Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd.
New POCARI SWEAT Jelly for "Edible Hydration" First new form of POCARI SWEAT since initial launch 36 years ago
- The first new form of POCARI SWEAT since initial product launch in 1980, POCARI SWEAT Jelly will debut in Japan on April 4, 2016
- New "edible hydration" form aims to appeal to those who fail to hydrate, despite understanding the performance benefits of fluid and ion replenishment before exercise
- Offering the functional benefits of POCARI SWEAT in jelly form, new POCARI SWEAT Jelly aims to pioneer a new category in the market for jelly-type products
Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. (Head Office: Tokyo, Japan; President: Tatsuo Higuchi) has announced the April 4, 2016 launch of new "edible hydration" POCARI SWEAT Jelly, an extension of the POCARI SWEAT brand, in convenience stores nationwide in Japan*1.
Appropriate fluid replenishment before exercise is said to be vital for optimum performance, a principle endorsed by the Japan Amateur Sports Association*2, the International Association of Athletics Federations*3 and the American College of Sports Medicine*4. However, though fully 85%*5 are aware of the importance of hydration before exercise, only 32%*6 indicated that they actually hydrate before exercising or engaging in sports activities.
For users who understand the importance of fluid and ion replenishment but are unable to replenish fluids before exercise, the POCARI SWEAT brand now offers the new option of "edible hydration," combining the performance benefits of POCARI SWEAT with the characteristics of a jelly to support optimum performance. At the same time, Otsuka aims to pioneer the new category of "edible hydration" in the market for jelly-type products.
Based on our corporate philosophy of 'Otsuka - people creating new products for better health worldwide,' Otsuka Pharmaceutical is dedicated to the development of innovative products that contribute to the health of people around the world.
- 1Sales to be limited to convenience stores nationwide; full distribution test marketing in Shizuoka Prefecture only.
- 2Replenishment of 250 to 500ml of fluid before exercise; Japan Amateur Sports Association (1994)
- 3Replenishment of 500 to 600ml two to three hours before exercise / replenishment of 300 to 360ml 0 to 10 minutes before exercise; International Association of Athletics Federations (2003)
- 4Replenishment of 3 to 5ml/kilogram of body weight two to three hours before exercise: American College of Sports Medicine
- 5Heat stroke prevention-related research II, Questionnaire 2-2: Knowledge of heat stroke prevention measures; Pages 253-262, 1st issue; 61st edition; 4th department; Osaka Kyoiku University Bulletin (Sept. 2012); Respondents: Middle-school students active in extra-curricular club activities; n = 1,257
- 6In-house survey regarding consumption of sports drinks by high school students who exercise almost every day; Intage (2013); Respondents: Individuals who consume sports drinks during or after sports or exercise; n = 2,015
About Pocari Sweat
POCARI SWEAT Jelly
- Suggested retail price (pre-tax)
- ¥170 (180g per pouch)
- sugar, High fructose corn syrup, fruit juice, agar, salt, fragrance, siraitia grosvenori extract, acidulant, thickening polysaccharides, potassium chloride, calcium lactate, seasoning (amino acids), magnesium chloride, antioxidants (vitamin C)
- Nutrition (per 180g)
- Energy: 55kcal; protein and fat: 0g; carbohydrates: 13.3g; sodium: 93mg; potassium: 36mg; calcium: 4mg; magnesium: 1mg
Information in this news release was current as of the original release date.