Heart failure is a condition in which the heart malfunctions, causing symptoms such as shortness of breath and swelling. It gradually worsens and reduces the lifespan of patients. The list below describes the various conditions that can impact the health of your heart, each of which requires a different treatment.
- 1Conditions that increase blood pressure (high blood pressure)
- 2Conditions that affect the heart muscle tissue (cardiomyopathy)
- 3Conditions that affect the veins supplying the heart (heart attack)
- 4The valves that regulate the flow of blood through the heart become too narrow to open fully, or are unable to close (valvular disease)
- 5Conditions that cause an erratic heartbeat (arrhythmia)
- 6Heart disease present at birth (hereditary heart disease)