June 13, 2016
Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd.
Otsuka Pharmaceutical and IBM Japan to Set Up Joint Venture for Digital Health Solutions in Central Nervous System Field
- Otsuka and IBM are to establish a company to market MENTAT, specialized software developed using IBM's technologies and based on Otsuka's expertise in the central nervous system.
- In psychiatry, patient symptoms and medical history are not usually enumerated and are entered into non-standardized electronic medical charts. Therefore it takes significant time and effort for hospital medical staff to analyze and understand a large volume of records, and a massive of amount data is not used well.
- MENTAT automatically integrates and analyzes patient medical history that is difficult to enumerate. The created databases enable hospital medical staff to use electronic medical charts more insightfully and to provide better medical care to patients.
On June 13 (Japan time), Otsuka Pharmaceutical and IBM Japan finalized an agreement to establish Otsuka Digital Health Co., Ltd. (Otsuka Digital Health), a joint venture independent of Otsuka's pharmaceutical business, in order to start a digital health solutions business for psychiatry in Japan.
Otsuka Digital Health will market MENTAT, which was developed based on Otsuka's knowledge and expertise in the central nervous system and on IBM's Watson-based technology. The company will integrate and analyze a large volume of data held by medical institutions. Solutions will be provided for medical issues such as improving the quality of treatment and sharing useful information among hospital medical staff.
Overview of Otsuka Digital Health Co., Ltd.
- Establishment Date
- June 17, 2016
- 267 million yen
- CEO designate
- Yasuki Shimizu
- Head Office
- 2-9 Kanda Tsukasa-machi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 101-8535, Japan
- Business areas
- IT solutions and consultation services: provision and management of a variety of data; computer system development
- Major shareholders and stock ownership ratio
- Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. (85%), IBM Japan (15%)
Information in this news release was current as of the original release date.