May 20, 2015
Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd.
Overseas Distribution of ORONAMIN C DRINK Expands to Hong Kong Otsuka Pharmaceutical to Launch Carbonated Nutritional Beverage in Rapidly Growing Hong Kong Market
- May 20, 2015 marks the launch of carbonated nutritional beverage ORONAMIN C DRINK in Hong Kong, a major market for nutritional and energy drinks. In the 50 years since its initial launch in Japan, ORONAMIN C DRINK has become a favorite among people of all ages, selected as a safe and flavorful nutritional beverage to energizes adults and children alike.
- With the launch of distribution in Hong Kong, ORONAMIN C DRINK is now available in nine countries and regions. Otsuka Pharmaceutical aims to continue to expand distribution of ORONAMIN C DRINK, in keeping with local culture and customs, with a focus on Asian and the Middle Eastern markets.
Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. (Head Office: Tokyo, Japan; President: Tatsuo Higuchi) has announced expansion of overseas distribution of ORONAMIN C DRINK (ORONAMIN C) with the May 20, 2015 launch of the carbonated nutritional beverage in Hong Kong. Manufactured in Japan, ORONAMIN C will be marketed in Hong Kong by local Otsuka Group affiliate, Otsuka Pharmaceutical (H.K.) Ltd., which also markets POCARI SWEAT and Kenja- no- Shokutaku (The Wise Man's Dining) Double Support. Following the launch in Hong Kong, ORONAMIN C will be available in nine countries and regions including Japan.
The Hong Kong market for small-sized vitamin-fortified beverages and energy drinks is growing rapidly, with sales of nutritional drinks from around the world valued at approximately HK$2.68 million (approx. ¥4.1 billion) in 2013, a 14% increase from the previous year*1. Amidst the increasing number of health-conscious people who consume nutritional beverages there is growing interest in finding products that can be consumed with peace of mind*2. A flavorful carbonated beverage fortified with the vitamin C equivalent of 11 lemons, vitamin B-complex*3 and other nutritional elements, ORONAMIN C has been favored by adults and children alike since its initial launch in Japan 50 years ago. Otsuka Pharmaceutical aims to energize people of all ages in Hong Kong with the "Healthy," "Refreshing and easy to consume," "Reliable and safe" qualities of "Genki Hatsuratsu (Full of Vitality) ORONAMIN C.
Labeling will be characterized by a combination of Japanese and Chinese lettering: Japanese to evoke origin and quality, and Chinese to emphasize product features and pronunciation of the ORONAMIN C name.
Overseas Distribution of ORONAMIN C DRINK
Launched in February 1965 as a flavorful carbonated nutritional drink for casual consumption, ORONAMIN C is marking its 50th year of sales in Japan. Continuing to energize people of all ages, in 2011, ORONAMIN C became the first small-sized vitamin-fortified beverage to post cumulative sales of more than 30 billion bottles in Japan. Overseas distribution was launched in 1985, with initial sales through distributors in six Middle Eastern markets (UAE, Kuwait, Bahrain, Oman, Saudi Arabia and Qatar). Production and sale in South Korea began in February 2015 and overseas distribution has been expanded further with the May 2015 launch in Hong Kong. Otsuka Pharmaceutical will continue to promote the vitality of ORONAMIN C in keeping with local culture and customs in markets around the world.
Based on its corporate philosophy of 'Otsuka - people creating new products for better health worldwide', Otsuka Pharmaceutical is dedicated to contributing to the health of people around the world.
- 1Source: Energy and Sports Drinks 2014, The Nielsen Company
- 2Source: Acon focus group report 2014
- 3Vitamin B-complex：vitamin B2、vitamin B6、niacin
Information in this news release was current as of the original release date.