August 9, 2016
Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd.
Otsuka Pharmaceutical Enters into Health Promotion Partnership with Miyagi Prefecture
- Signed on August 8, 2016, the Health Promotion Partnership with Miyagi Prefecture aims to support efforts to minimize risks of metabolic syndrome and decrease the incidence of lifestyle-related illnesses.
- Otsuka will utilize its expertise in areas such as prevention of lifestyle-related illnesses, nutritional education, heat stroke countermeasures and sports promotions, working together with Miyagi Prefecture to maintain and promote the health of prefectural residents.
Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. (Head Office Tokyo, Japan; President: Tatsuo Higuchi) has entered into a comprehensive health promotion partnership with Miyagi Prefecture, aiming to encourage healthy lifestyles and extend healthy life expectancy for prefectural residents. The agreement was signed on August 8 at the Miyagi Prefecture Government Offices.
Signing Ceremony at the Miyagi Prefectural Government
As an extension of recovery efforts following the Great East Japan Earthquake in 2011, Miyagi Prefecture has aimed to foster a vibrant communal environment in which prefectural residents will be able to pursue lives that are mentally and physically healthy and rewarding. The resulting Miyagi 21 Health Plan*1 focuses on supporting the health and wellbeing of residents throughout the prefecture.
For six years beginning in 2008, the ratio of Miyagi Prefecture residents showing symptoms or risk of developing medical conditions associated with metabolic syndrome ranked high on a nationwide scale, while the daily distance walked by the average adult male was especially low. Fueled by these disturbing statistics, the prefectural government established the Smart Miyagi Healthy Citizens Council*2 in February 2016, aiming to unite prefectural and community governments, corporations, and related organizations in providing services to promote the health and wellbeing of prefectural residents, with a focus on prevention of lifestyle-related illnesses.
Otsuka Pharmaceutical has been involved in various activities in cooperation with Miyagi Prefecture, including organization of seminars on prevention of lifestyle-related illnesses and heat stroke countermeasures and provision of health-related information. As an early member of the Smart Miyagi Healthy Citizens' Council, Otsuka has continued to cooperate in efforts to maintain and enhance the health of Miyagi Prefecture residents.
The conclusion of the health promotion partnership further reinforces this cooperative relationship. Otsuka will work together with Miyagi Prefecture to maximize expertise in prevention of lifestyle-related illnesses, nutritional education, heat stroke countermeasures and other areas to contribute to the health and wellbeing of Miyagi Prefecture residents.
Under the terms of the agreement, Otsuka Pharmaceutical and Miyagi Prefecture will cooperate to maximize resources and capabilities through activities including but not limited to those outlined below.
- 1Initiatives to promote overall health and wellbeing
- 2Initatives regarding prevention of lifestyle-related illnesses
- 3Initiatives to promote nutritional education
- 4Initiatives related to heatstroke countermeasures
- 5Regular provision and exchange of survey and research results, latest scientific findings, and other health-related information
Based on our corporate philosophy of 'Otsuka - people creating new products for better health worldwide', Otsuka Pharmaceutical is dedicated to the development of innovative products that contribute to the health of people around the world.
- 1Miyagi 21 Health Plan (in Japanese):(Miyagi Prefecture website:http://www.pref.miyagi.jp/soshiki/kensui/21plan.html)
- 2Smart Miyagi Healthy Citizens Council (in Japanese):http://www.pref.miyagi.jp/site/sumart01/
Including the comprehensive partnership with Miyagi Prefecture, Otsuka has concluded cooperative agreements with 24 prefectural and metropolitan governments throughout Japan (Kanagawa Prefecture, Saga Prefecture, Saitama Prefecture, Fukuoka Prefecture, Shiga Prefecture, Iwate Prefecture, Tokushima Prefecture, Aomori Prefecture, Okayama Prefecture, Ishikawa Prefecture, Hiroshima Prefecture, Hyogo Prefecture, Metropolis of Tokyo, Mie Prefecture, Kagoshima Prefecture, Osaka Prefecture, Nagasaki Prefecture, Fukushima Prefecture, Akita Prefecture, Yamaguchi Prefecture, Miyazaki Prefecture, Gifu Prefecture and Shizuoka Prefecture).
Information in this news release was current as of the original release date.