September 7, 2016
Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd.
Otsuka Pharmaceutical Enters into Partnership Agreement with Yamagata Prefecture, Aiming to Achieve Japan's Top Healthy Life Expectancy
- Signed on September 6, 2016, the agreement aims to support the Yamagata Prefecture goal of earning the designation "Healthy Longevity Yamagata" through unified community efforts to promote health and wellbeing of prefectural residents over the course of their lifetimes as set forth in the Healthy Yamagata Relief Plan.
- Otsuka will utilize its expertise in health development, prevention of lifestyle-related illnesses, heat stroke countermeasures and nutritional education, cooperating with Yamagata Prefecture to extend healthy life expectancy and enhance the quality of services for prefectural residents.
Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. (Head Office: Tokyo Japan; President: Tatsuo Higuchi) has entered into a partnership agreement with Yamagata Prefecture to support initiatives to maintain and improve the health of prefectural residents in pursuit of the goal to achieve "Japan's top healthy life expectancy." The agreement was signed on September 6 at the Yamagata Prefecture Government Offices.
With one of the highest per capita percentages of elderly residents nationwide, Yamagata Prefecture faces the major issue of how to ensure healthy and rewarding lifestyles in an aging society*1. Formulated in 2013, the Healthy Yamagata Relief Plan*2 identifies healthy life expectancy*3 as its overall objective, with residents and local communities working together to earn the designation of "Healthy Longevity Yamagata."
Reflected in the nickname "Hotspring Kingdom Yamagata," natural hotsprings are found in all 35 cities, towns, and villages in Yamagata Prefecture, inspiring initiatives to promote the health of both residents and visitors alike, and fueling efforts to revitalize local communities.
Otsuka Pharmaceutical is already involved in various activities to promote the health and wellbeing of Yamagata Prefecture residents, including health development, prevention of lifestyle-related illnesses, heat stroke countermeasures and nutritional education. The new partnership agreement focuses on fostering healthy lifestyles for prefectural residents, prevention of lifestyle-related illnesses, and extension of healthy life expectancy. Under this reinforced alliance, Otsuka will work together with Yamagata Prefecture to provide health-related information and products based on scientific evidence and contribute to extended healthy life expectancy and enhanced services for Yamagata Prefecture residents.
Under the terms of the agreement, the following cooperative initiatives will be implemented.
- 1Promotion of "Hotspring Kingdom Yamagata"
- 2Initiatives to promote health and wellbeing
- 3Promotion of heat stroke countermeasures
- 4Other initiatives to achieve Japan's top healthy life expectancy.
Based on our corporate philosophy of 'Otsuka - people creating new products for better health worldwide,' Otsuka Pharmaceutical is dedicated to the development of innovative products that contribute to the health of people around the world.
- 1Yamagata Prefecture website (in Japanese):http://www.pref.yamagata.jp/ou/kenkofukushi/090002/houkatsu/2015koureishakaidate.pdf
- 2Healthy Yamagata Relief Plan (in Japanese):https://www.pref.yamagata.jp/ou/kenkofukushi/090002/kenkotanto/kenkouyamagataansinplan/kenkouyamagataanshinplan/Planzentai.pdf
- 3Healthy life expectancy: Length of life that an individual lives without limitation in daily activities due to health problems (Japan Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare)
Including the comprehensive partnership with Yamagata Prefecture, Otsuka has concluded cooperative agreements with 27 prefectural and metropolitan governments throughout Japan (Kanagawa Prefecture, Saga Prefecture, Saitama Prefecture, Fukuoka Prefecture, Shiga Prefecture, Iwate Prefecture, Tokushima Prefecture, Aomori Prefecture, Okayama Prefecture, Ishikawa Prefecture, Hiroshima Prefecture, Hyogo Prefecture, Metropolis of Tokyo, Mie Prefecture, Kagoshima Prefecture, Osaka Prefecture, Nagasaki Prefecture, Fukushima Prefecture, Akita Prefecture, Yamaguchi Prefecture, Miyazaki Prefecture, Gifu Prefecture, Shizuoka Prefecture, Miyagi Prefecture, Toyama Prefecture and Kumamoto Prefecture).
Information in this news release was current as of the original release date.