April 1, 2014
Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd.
POCARI SWEAT ION WATER
First Overseas Distribution Launched by King Car Otsuka in Taiwan
- Currently distributed in 17 countries and regions worldwide*1, POCARI SWEAT was launched in Taiwan in 1982 and is currently produced and distributed by King Car Otsuka Co., Ltd. In response to changes in Taiwanese lifestyles over the past 30 years, King Car Otsuka has initiated local production of POCARI SWEAT ION WATER, which will make its debut in the Taiwan market from April 1, 2014.
- A lack of physical activity and one of Asia's highest obesity rates*2 have become serious public health issues in Taiwan. The Taiwanese government is recommending consumption of low sugar, low calorie beverages*3, fueling a growing market for mineral water and sugarless teas. However, replenishment of electrolytes is important even in everyday situations with little opportunity for exercise such as in the office.
- POCARI SWEAT ION WATER debuted in Japan in 2013 as a refreshingly sweet, clean tasting reduced calorie rehydration beverage, incorporating the benefits of the original POCARI SWEAT. In Taiwan, the beverage will lend itself to a variety of new consumption scenarios, including everyday office scenes.
Tokyo, Japan: Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. (Head office: Tokyo Japan; President Taro Iwamoto) has announced the April 1 overseas launch of POCARI SWEAT ION WATER in Taiwan. POCARI SWEAT ION WATER will be produced and distributed by King Car Otsuka Co., Ltd., the Taiwanese producer of POCARI SWEAT. In keeping with changes in Taiwanese lifestyles, POCARI SWEAT ION WATER will be promoted as a healthy way to replenish liquids and electrolytes in a variety of new consumption scenes.
In Taiwan, a lack of physical exercise and one of Asia's highest obesity rates*2 have become serious public health issues. In response, the Taiwanese government is recommending consumption of low sugar, low calorie beverages*3, fueling a growing market for mineral water and sugarless teas. Even in situations such as offices where people are seated for extended periods and have little opportunity to exercise, or in dry environments, rehydration to replenish liquids and electrolytes is important.
Otsuka Pharmaceutical launched Taiwan sales of POCARI SWEAT in 1982. In 1996, King Car Otsuka Co., Ltd., a joint venture between Otsuka and major food and beverage conglomerate King Car Group, began local sales and production of POCARI SWEAT. Currently POCARI SWEAT is very popular and consumer awareness is virtually 100 percent. Through sales of POCARI SWEAT ION WATER the venture aims to promote maintenance of healthy lifestyles by communicating the importance of rehydration and electrolyte replenishment in the office and other dry surroundings.
POCARI SWEAT ION WATER was launched in April 2013 in Japan as a refreshingly sweet, clean tasting reduced calorie rehydration beverage, incorporating the same electrolyte replenishment benefits as POCARI SWEAT. In addition to times of vigorous exercise, POCARI SWEAT ION WATER lends itself to replenishment of liquid and electrolytes lost during everyday activities, creating a potential new market for hydration beverages. Dedicated to the health and wellbeing of people the world over, Otsuka will continue to promote awareness of the need for appropriate hydration and electrolyte replenishment in keeping with local cultural and lifestyle differences, aiming to create new markets for POCARI SWEAT and POCARI SWEAT ION WATER.
About POCARI SWEAT
POCARI SWEAT was launched in 1980 as a health drink to replenish electrolytes and ions lost through perspiration. The first global product launched from Otsuka Pharmaceutical in Japan, POCARI SWEAT was launched in Taiwan in 1982 and is currently available in 17 countries and regions worldwide*1, with the number of bottles sold overseas exceeds the number sold in Japan*4. The Otsuka Pharmaceutical Saga Nutraceuticals Research Institute has been engaged in research into beverages to rapidly replenish liquids and electrolytes lost through perspiration for more than 30 years.
- *1 Japan, Taiwan, Singapore, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, Oman, United Arab Emirates, South Korea, Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia, China, Kuwait, Qatar, Philippines, Egypt, Vietnam
- *2 Ministry of Health and Welfare; 2012 release
- *3 "Food & Beverage Guidelines for Taiwan Citizens" Food and Drug Administration, Ministry of Health and Welfare, Taiwan
- *4 The number of bottles sold outside Japan exceeded the number sold in Japan in fiscal 2008 (company data)
King Car Otsuka Co., Ltd. http://www.kco.com.tw/
Information in this news release was current as of the original release date.