Tuberculosis - An Old Disease with a New FaceEditorial Supervision: Toru Mori,
Director Emeritus, The Research Institute of Tuberculosis, Japan Anti-Tuberculosis Association
Executive Representative, Stop Tuberculosis Partnership Japan
Do you think that tuberculosis is “a disease of the past”?
Tuberculosis (TB) is a chronic infectious disease, caused by Mycobacterium tuberculosis and transferred from person to person. It is now attracting a lot of attention globally.
In particular, the disease is a very serious health problem and an obstacle to growth and development in endemic countries in Africa and Asia. Even in Japan, there are increasing signs of drug-resistant strains of TB, so we can't say that this is someone else's problem. TB is an old disease, but it isn't one that only effects countries in which it is endemic. It is in fact quite close to us here in Japan, so it's is best to learn more about it.
Early symptoms include coughing/mucus, fevers, etc.
These symptoms will continue for over two weeks, repeatedly improving and then worsening again.
Performed with X-rays, microbiological examinations, etc.
Almost all treatment is medicine based.
If symptoms are severe, or if there are concerns about infecting others, then hospitalization may be required.
Learn more about tuberculosis
2017 DEC DT1712002
- Protect Yourself From Heat Disorders
- Preventing Traveller's Thrombosis (Economy Class Syndrome)
- Menopause lab (Japanese)
- Living well with menopause
- Lactic acid bacterium B240 lab (Japanese)
- AMP helps the renewal of skin cells (Japanese)
- Sleep Rhythm Lab (Japanese)
- The surprising facts about dietary fiber
- Everything You Need to Know about GI
- Jump start your brain with a well-balanced breakfast
- Vitamins & Minerals Q&A
- BCAA Helps Maintain Exercise Performance
- Smile Navigator: Schizophrenia (Japanese)
- Smile Navigator: Bipolar disorder (Japanese)
- Smile Navigator: Depression (Japanese)
- Smile Navigator: Pediatric autism spectrum disorder (Japanese)
- Parkinson's Disease
- Restless Legs Syndrome
- Gen-shu.jp ("reducing alcohol consumption", in Japanese only)
- Learn about Heart Failure, its Prevention, and Treatment
- ADPKD.JP (Japanese)
- PAD: Be Careful of Changes in Your Limbs
- Liver cirrhosis nutritional therapy
- Get Your Healthy Stomach Back
- Tuberculosis - An Old Disease with a New Face
- Did You Know There Are Quick Tests for Infectious Diseases?
- Do You Have Symptoms of Dry Eye?
- Decoboco eye: All about eye health (Japanese)
- Acne: Are You Doing Anything About It?