The surprising facts about dietary fiberKiyoshi Ebihara, Professor Emeritus, Ehime University
Are you getting enough dietary fiber?
Dietary fiber is known to be good for preventing constipation. But that is not all it is good for. How much do you know about dietary fiber? Are you getting enough of it?
It is surprisingly difficult to get the necessary amount of dietary fiber from an ordinary diet, but by learning a little more about it and choosing to eat foods that are high in fiber, you can live a healthier life with minimal effort.
What foods contain a lot of dietary fiber?
Foods of plant origin such as vegetables, fruits, grains, seaweeds, mushrooms and legumes contain a lot of dietary fiber.
What is soluble dietary fiber?
Food containing soluble fiber travels through the digestive system slowly because of its viscosity, reducing hunger and helping prevent overeating. It suppresses spikes in blood sugar after eating by slowing the absorption of sugar.
Supplements and dietary fiber
Besides supplements, many nutritionally fortified processed foods and some with added dietary fiber are now widely available.
Learn more about dietary fiber
Is your diet healthy ?
Nowadays, you can easily get dietary supplements at drug stores, supermarkets, and convenience stores, but different people require different dietary supplements.
Here are some quick and easy seasonal recipes using ingredients that are rich in dietary fiber.
- Protect Yourself From Heat Disorders
- Preventing Traveller's Thrombosis (Economy Class Syndrome)
- Menopause lab (Japanese)
- Living well with menopause
- Lactic acid bacterium B240 lab (Japanese)
- AMP helps the renewal of skin cells (Japanese)
- Sleep Rhythm Lab (Japanese)
- The surprising facts about dietary fiber
- Everything You Need to Know about GI
- Jump start your brain with a well-balanced breakfast
- Vitamins & Minerals Q&A
- BCAA Helps Maintain Exercise Performance
- Smile Navigator: Schizophrenia (Japanese)
- Smile Navigator: Bipolar disorder (Japanese)
- Smile Navigator: Depression (Japanese)
- Smile Navigator: Pediatric autism spectrum disorder (Japanese)
- Parkinson's Disease
- Restless Legs Syndrome
- Gen-shu.jp ("reducing alcohol consumption", in Japanese only)
- Learn about Heart Failure, its Prevention, and Treatment
- ADPKD.JP (Japanese)
- PAD: Be Careful of Changes in Your Limbs
- Liver cirrhosis nutritional therapy
- Get Your Healthy Stomach Back
- Tuberculosis - An Old Disease with a New Face
- Did You Know There Are Quick Tests for Infectious Diseases?
- Do You Have Symptoms of Dry Eye?
- Decoboco eye: All about eye health (Japanese)
- Acne: Are You Doing Anything About It?